- 1 cup dry lentils
- 2 bay leaf
- 2 large garlic clove, peeled but left whole
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 2 jars pasta sauce
- 1 lb whole grain pasta
- 1 lb sliced white mushrooms
- Baby spinach
- Soy crumbles (optional)
- Grated Parmesan (optional)
- Chopped fresh basil (optional)
- Combine the lentils, bay leaf, garlic, salt and broth. Cook until tender according to package directions, about 30 mintues. When finished, drain the lentils, discard the bay leaf and garlic, and set the pot aside, uncovered.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Cook the pasta until al dente, according to the package directions. Drain, then return the pasta to the pot and set it aside.
- Stir the marinara, mushrooms, spinach, and soy crumbles into the lentils and warm them together over medium heat. Divide pasta into bowls, top with auce, and garnish with Parmesan and/or chopped fresh basil. Serve warm. Leftovers will keep well, covered and refrigerated, for up to 4 days.